Market Survey / Sources Sought for an Integrated Fire Control System (IFCS) for use with the M3E1 Multi-role, Anti-armor, Anti-personnel, Weapon System (MAAWS) recoilless rifle.
Response Date: 16 October 2020
Michael F. Grace Jr.
The U.S. Army Contracting Command – New Jersey (ACC-NJ), on behalf of Project Manager Soldier Lethality (PM SL) is conducting a market survey / sources sought to identify potential sources for an Integrated Fire Control System (IFCS) for the M3E1 Multi-role, Anti-armor, Anti-personnel, Weapon System (MAAWS) Recoilless Rifle. The M3E1 MAAWS recoilless rifle is currently produced by Saab AB, Karlskoga Sweden.
The result of this market research will contribute to determining the method of procurement if a requirement materializes. Based on the responses to this market survey / sources sought notice, this requirement may be set-aside for small businesses (in full or in part) or procured through full and open competition. Multiple awards may be made. All small business set-aside categories will be considered. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted or acknowledged, and no feedback or evaluations will be provided to companies regarding submissions.
This sources sought is an update from one posted July 2018 (Solicitation Number: W15QKN-18-X-02VX). Major revisions to the requirements are: 1) allow for a digital only solution (not just a direct-view optic) and 2) require an integrated night vision capability.
Warfighters require a fire control device to increase probability of hit P(h) and decrease engagement time when using the M3E1 MAAWS against both static and moving targets. The fire control device described provides target acquisition, gun sighting, range to target, and an in-scope ballistic firing solution. The IFCS shall be used for engagements of targets in both day and night conditions, adverse weather, obscured visibility, and dirty battlefield conditions.
Information for products that require integration or modification may be provided. The unit can also be a Non-Developmental-Item (NDI) or a Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) item. Respondents should identify if the potential solution requires development or integration and the projected amount of time needed to be compliant with the below requirements. Primary interest is in an IFCS that requires no modification to the weapons’ configuration (i.e. IFCS integrates and adapts to the weapon as is). However, information on an IFCS that requires minimal modification may also be provided. An IFCS with a Technology Readiness Level (TRL) and Manufacturing Readiness Level (MRL) of at least 6 is desired, however responses regarding technologies at lower TRLs/MRLs will be accepted.
System Requirements and Desired Objectives:
- The IFCS shall interface with the M3E1 MAAWS recoilless rifle and be capable of quick mounting and dismounting while retaining boresight.
- The IFCS shall be ruggedized and maintain zero retention when host system is fired.
- The IFCS system shall weigh less than 7 pounds (total with batteries, bracketry, etc.)
- The IFCS may employ a direct-view-optic, digital imager(s), or a combination.
- The IFCS shall enable the User to recognize and acquire range to vehicle-sized targets out to 1,300 meters in the day (i.e. design shall have sufficient magnification and resolution).
- The IFCS shall include an integrated range finder. The range finder shall return accurate ranges to targets (visibility allowing) out to 1,300m (T) 2,400m (O).
- The IFCS shall provide an integrated night vision capability (e.g. thermal imager) to enable the User to recognize vehicle-sized targets out to 800 meters at night or in a Degraded Visual Environment (DVE).
- The IFCS shall provide sufficient FoV to track a target moving up to 20kph (faster is desired) based on any combination of changes to range, azimuth, and elevation.
- The IFCS shall provide the User with an adjusted aim point within the FoV (in-scope) to the downrange target. Adjusted aim point shall compensate for variables required to accurately engage targets that include, but are not limited to: target range and elevation; atmospheric temperature and pressure; and ballistics of the weapon/ammunition selected. Sensors may be integrated (preferred) or external (data manually input).
- The IFCS shall update the adjusted aim point displayed for a target moving up to 20kph (faster is desired) based on any combination of changes to range, azimuth, and elevation.
- The IFCS shall incorporate ballistic (firing) tables and/or a ballistic calculator for the following ammunition types; which will be provided. Maximum Quadrature Elevation (QE) angle for indicated ammunition is 10.5 degrees.
- HE441D RS
- HEDP 502 RS
- HEAT 551C RS
- ASM 509
- Illum 545C
- 7.62mm Tracer, SCA553B
- The IFCS shall accommodate additional ballistic solutions for future ammunition types.
- The IFCS in-scope display shall be capable of displaying information to the User. Information to display may include, but is not limited to range to target, weapon cant indication, projectile safe separation warning, ammunition type selected, and low power warning.
- The IFCS shall use User changeable batteries from the CECOM Power Sources Center of Excellence (PSCoE) Preferred Battery List document.
- The IFCS shall communicate with the M3E1 MAAWS rifle electronics to include a forward remote. IFCS communication with a round programmer for future ammunition types is required.
- The IFCS shall supply power to the M3E1 MAAWS rifle electronics to include a forward remote and round programmer. The IFCS shall support a 72hr mission.
- The IFCS must survive in operational military environments in accordance with MIL-STD-810H. Evidence of IFCS compliance with Army requirements in MIL-STD-461G is desired.
- Objectively, the IFCS design shall employ a Modular Open System Architecture (MOSA).
- Offeror evidence of compliance with quality standards, such as ISO 9000, is desired.
Firms/companies are invited to indicate their capabilities by providing specifications, brochures, manuals, reports, demonstration videos and/or other technical data, as well as identification of current customers. Cost estimates should also be sent.
Interested companies are requested to submit a capabilities statement of 2-5 pages via e-mail by 15 October 2020. The Point of Contact is Michael Grace at Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purpose of this questionnaire is to obtain information from industry to assist in the market research. Firms/companies are invited to indicate their interest and capability to satisfy the above requirements by identifying the following items:
- Company Name
- Company Address
- Company point of contact and phone number
- Major partners or suppliers
- The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code for this requirement is 333314. Is your business considered a Small Business based on your NAICS Code?
- Description of capability to develop and/or manufacture a system(s) to meet the criteria listed above.
- Our product as described above, has been sold, leased or licensed to the general public.
- Our product as described above has been sold in substantial quantities, on a competitive basis to multiple state and local government. The development of the product was done exclusively at private expense.
- None of the above applies. Explain:
- Location where primary work will be performed (if more than one location, please indicate the percentage for each location).
- Identify manufacturing, managing and engineering experience of like items of equal or greater complexity.
- Identify existing facilities, equipment, and workforce (identify what percentage would be supporting this new effort and what additional resources would be required).
- Identify lead time and low-risk schedule to provide at least six (6) test articles that meet the above identified system requirements.
- Identify lead-time, including supplier / design qualification efforts and production ramp-up time, to meet full capability for production and sustainment.
- Please provide any additional comments.
Information and materials submitted in response to this request WILL NOT be returned. DO NOT SUBMIT CLASSIFIED MATERIAL in response to this notice.
This Market Survey is a Request for Information (RFI) ONLY and should NOT be construed as a Request for Proposal (RFP) or a commitment by the U.S. Government.
Responders are advised that the U.S. Government will not pay for any information, sample hardware or administrative costs incurred in the response to this RFI. All costs associated with responding to this RFI will be solely at the interested party’s expense. Not responding to this RFI does not preclude participation in any future RFP or other solicitation (if any are issued).
This announcement should not be construed as a commitment by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government does not intend to award a contract on the basis of this Request For Information (RFI). THIS IS NOT A Letter Of Contemplation (LOC) AND DOES NOT OBLIGATE THE U.S. GOVERNMENT TO ISSUE A LOC. This RFI release is for U.S. Government planning purposes only and constitute requests for exchange of information pursuant to FAR 15.201.
The US Government does not intend to award a contract on the basis of this market survey or otherwise pay for information solicited. The Government is not obligated to notify respondents of the results of this survey. No Phone Calls Will Be Accepted, all requests need to be submitted via email. All information is to be submitted at NO COST or obligation to the U.S. Government.
THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION AND DOES NOT OBLIGATE THE GOVERNMENT TO ISSUE A SOLICITATION.