Sources Sought: M240 Bimetallic Barrels
Response Date: 4 December 2020
The U.S. Army Contracting Command – New Jersey, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000, on behalf of the Project Manager Soldier Lethality (PMSL) is conducting a market survey / sources sought to identify potential sources for fabrication and delivery of M240B and M240L machine gun bimetallic barrel assemblies. Bimetallic barrels are being studied as an enhancement on the current M240B and M240L monolithic barrel material to improve performance and service life. Additional steel, titanium, and nylon sub components are forged, cast or machined and then assembled into a final barrel. These sub components include the flash hider, front sight assembly, gas regulator plug and housing, and carrying handle assembly.
The result of this market research will contribute to determining the method of procurement if a requirement materializes. Based on the responses to this market survey / sources sought notice, this requirement may be set-aside for small businesses (in full or in part) or procured through full and open competition. Multiple awards may be made. All small business set-aside categories will be considered. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted or acknowledged, and no feedback or evaluations will be provided to companies regarding submissions.
The M240B and M240L bimetallic barrel assemblies have an objective performance requirement of a 50,000 round barrel life. They should offer improved, more consistent performance over a wider temperature range and varying firing rates. Compatibility with fielded ammunition and weapon systems shall be maintained.
The planned acquisition is for a delivery rate of 500-1000 per month beginning as early as Fiscal Year 2022. Any contract shall require successful completion of a First Article Test and Lot Acceptance Tests throughout production. Delivery rate may vary based on need.
This notice is to determine if there are sources capable of manufacturing barrel assemblies for the M240B and M240L of a bimetallic construction.
All responding sources shall provide the following:
- Summary of their company’s capabilities, including organization name, address, and point of contact.
- Capabilities in manufacturing machine gun barrel assemblies.
- Experience in manufacturing gun barrels or other items using similar processes and/or equipment.
- Detailed experience with fabrication techniques including: investment castings, forgings/rotary forgings, rifling, machining from billet stock, heat treating capabilities, and protective finish capabilities (to include phosphate, chrome, and boronizing).
- Indicate if your company maintains a registration with the State Department under the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR).
- Describe your company’s inspection capability to include compliance with International Standards Organization (ISO) or equivalent.
- Provide a confirmation of established configuration management procedure to include protecting proprietary data.
- Indicate current monthly production capability.
- Describe your company size status (Small or Large Business) and approximate number of employees.
This market survey is for planning purposes only and shall not be construed as a Request for Proposal or as an obligation on the part of the US Government. A TDP is not available in support of this announcement. All interested parties should provide this information by 4 December 2020 by email to: email@example.com. This is a market survey, not a pre-solicitation notice. *Please note: this market survey is for information and planning purposes only, does not constitute a pre-solicitation notice, and is not to be construed as a commitment by the Government. THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION AND DOES NOT OBLIGATE THE GOVERNMENT TO ISSUE A SOLICITATION. Please be advised that the Government will not pay for any information submitted under/in relation to this announcement. If a formal solicitation is generated at a later date, a solicitation notice will be published.