National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST),
Acquisition Management Division,
100 Bureau Drive, Mail Stop 1640,
Gaithersburg, MD, 20899-1640
Sources Sought Notice NIST-MML-20-SS19
Title: SRD31 Content Development
This is a Sources Sought Notice ONLY. Requests for copies of a solicitation will not receive a response.
This Notice is for planning purposes only and is not a Request for Proposal or Request for Quotation or an obligation on the part of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) for conducting a follow-on acquisition. NIST does not intend to award a contract on the basis of this Notice, or otherwise pay for the information requested. No entitlement or payment of direct or indirect costs or charges by NIST will arise as a result of submission of responses to this Notice and NIST use of such information. NIST recognizes that proprietary components, interfaces and equipment, and clearly mark restricted or proprietary components, interfaces and equipment, and clearly mark restricted or proprietary data and present it as an addendum to the non-restricted/non-proprietary information. In the absence of such identification, NIST will assume to have unlimited rights to all technical data in the information paper.
NO SOLICITATION DOCUMENTS EXIST AT THIS TIME.
NIST is seeking information from vendors capable of providing a full range of scientific-evaluation and content-development services needed to produce SRD 31, “Phase Equilibria Diagrams” (PED).
Database entries are called PED Figures and consist of a critical summary of the original research and one or more phase diagrams. New content is extracted from original scientific literature (including foreign-language publications) by systematic bimonthly searches of newly published manuscripts. PED Figures are created by subject-matter experts with advanced education and expertise in thermodynamics and phase-equilibrium science who provide a technical evaluation of the reliability of the data; the content is then reviewed for conformation with NIST-provided Guidelines and prepared for publication by additional domain experts. SRD31 is described at https://www.nist.gov/srd/nist-standard-reference-database-31, where a free demonstration version can be downloaded.
- Performing bimonthly computer searches of the primary scientific literature to find new content suitable for a database, and assigning the chemical system for each new diagram identified for possible additions.
- Providing critical scientific evaluations (commentaries) of original published manuscripts (between 100 and 200 total manuscripts over a 12 month period, distributed bimonthly.
- Reviewing and editing as necessary new PED Figures to ensure compliance with guidelines (between 360 and 500 total PED Figures over a 12 month period, at a rate of 30-40 per month)
- Digitizing and editing phase diagrams to convert them to interactive graphics files in standardized format using custom software
- Managing and coordinating work done in all service-categories and tracking each step of the workflow-process in the PED CMS, from retrieval of new manuscripts identified by the Literature Editor to the publication and release of final PED Figures.
Interested parties shall describe the capabilities of their organization as it relates to the requirement described above. NIST anticipates issuing a Request for Quotation in the first quarter of FY2021 and awarding a contract no later than the second quarter of FY2021.
NIST is seeking responses from all responsible sources, including large and small businesses. The small business size standard associated with the NAICS code for this effort, 541690, is $16.5M. Please include your company’s size classification and socio-economic status in any response to this notice.
After results of this market research are obtained and analyzed, NIST may conduct a competitive procurement and subsequently award a contract. Companies that can provide such services are requested to email a written response describing their abilities to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the response date for this sources sought notice.
The following information is requested to be provided as part of the response to this sources sought notice:
- Name, Address, DUNS number, CAGE code, and point of contact information of your company.
- Any information on the company’s small business certifications, if applicable.
- Description of your company’s capabilities as they relate to the services described in this notice.
- A description of your company’s previous experience providing the services described in this notice.
- Indication of whether the services described in this notice are currently offered via your company’s GSA Federal Supply Schedule (FSS) contracts, Government-wide Acquisition Contracts (GWACs), or other existing Government-wide contract vehicles; and, if so, the contract number(s) for those vehicles.
- Any published pricing.
- Any other relevant information that is not listed above which the Government should consider in finalizing its market research.
Responses are limited to a total of twelve (12) pages. The responses must be in MS Word format. Pages shall be 8½-inch x 11-inch, using Times New Roman 11 Point Font. Each page shall have adequate margins on each side (at least one inch) of the page. Header/footer information (which does not include any information to be analyzed) may be included in the 1″ margin space.